Can an SMSF buy a commercial property?
Yes. This is the method of property purchase that is allowable for SMSF. As laid out by the ATO you can only buy property through your SMSF if you comply with the following rules.
- Must meet the ‘sole purpose test’ of solely providing retirement benefits to fund members
- Must not be acquired from a related party of a member unless commercial property.
- Must not be lived in by a fund member or any fund members’ related parties
- Must not be rented by a fund member or any fund members’ related parties.
But your SMSF can purchase business property such as your own business’ premises. This is an attractive option for SMSF trustees as it allows you to pay rent directly to your SMSF at the market rate. Many SMSFs choose to do this to help them to grow their SMSF fund for their retirement, and instead of paying rent to a landlord/third party with no financial gain.
‘Business real property’, such as commercial or industrial property, offices, warehouses, shops or even a farm, can be a legitimate SMSF investment. Residential property is also an allowable investment. However, with regards superannuation investments, the key difference is that, unlike residential property, a SMSF can buy business real property from related parties or fund members, and fund members or related parties (relatives of fund members) can use that SMSF asset if they choose to do so.
- Upfront fees
- Legal fees
- Advice fees
- Stamp duty
- Ongoing property management fees
- Bank fees
All these fees will depend on the location of the SMSF and property, as well as who the SMSF works with to supply advice and legal services etc.
If borrowing to purchase the property there will also be loan fees and rates to consider.
Limited recourse borrowing can only be used to purchase a single asset, for example a residential or commercial property. Before committing to a geared property investment you should assess whether the investment is consistent with the investment strategy and risk profile of the fund.
There is no direct line between the lender and the borrower – except where the borrower makes repayments. If the loan defaults, the lender’s rights are limited to the asset held in the separate trust. This means there is no recourse to the other assets held in the SMSF. More information can be found on the ATO website – here
- Higher costs – As previously mentioned, SMSF property loans tend to be more costly than other property loans which must be factored into your investment decision.
- Cash flow – Loan repayments must be made from your SMSF which means your fund must always have sufficient liquidity or cash flow to meet the loan repayments.
- Cancellation issues – If your SMSF property loan documentation and contract is not set up correctly, there is a risk that your arrangement cannot be undone and you may be required to sell the property, potentially causing substantial losses to the SMSF.
- Possible tax losses – Any tax losses from the property cannot be offset against your taxable income outside the fund.
- No alterations – Until the SMSF property loan is paid off alterations to a property cannot be made if they change the character of the property.
Any capital gains tax payable on the transfer of the asset is a tax bill for the individuals who originally owned the asset rather than the SMSF, although, with tax advice, there may be opportunities to reduce or eliminate that personal tax bill.
However, as with all SMSF real property purchase, the transfer must be for market value and the fund’s rental income must also be at market price.
Disclaimer: This information should not be considered personal financial advice as it is intended to provide general advice only. This factsheet has been prepared by Superhelp Australia Pty Ltd without taking into account your personal objectives, financial situations or needs.
The information contained in the fact sheet may not be appropriate to your individual needs, therefore, you should seek personal financial advice before making any financial or investment decisions.
SMSF Setup Offer
Find out more about how you can take advantage of our Limited Time FREE SMSF Setup Offer when you order your EOY administration with us! Save $525!Tell me more
Already have an existing SMSF ? We are offering no fee to transfer to our Award Winning service and a limited time first year EOY fee of $899 + GST!Tell me more
Want to Learn More About SMSF?
Enter your details to get instant access to our “Know Your SMSF” online fully animated video course.
In the course, you will learn exactly what an SMSF is and how it can help you including: